[Samba] Dial-In snap in not working

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 9 16:47:27 MDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-09 at 11:52 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Am 09.06.2013 06:32, schrieb "David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]":
> > Anyways, here it goes again, I have a samba DC and a w2k8r2 joined to
> > the domain and cdpromo'ed to a DC,Iinstalled RRAS services and NPS and I
> > don't really know if that's something to do with the fact that the
> > Dial-In tab is non functional anymore it shows an error about the dial
> > in tab not able to initialize, after some research and the permission
> > checking on
> >
> > HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg
> >
> > HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg\AllowedPaths
> >

> > I see no errors on samba when I try to open the tab so I guess it's a
> > windows issue but it reports "unknown error" so I'm pretty clueless there.
>

> I tried to change some values on the Dial-In tab of an user account in
> my test environment and saved them with OK. Saving was fine and also the
> values where there after I re-opened the user account settings.
>
> But my test environment contains no Windows DC (just 2 Samba DC) and the
> forest/domain functional level is on default (2003).

The bug here would probably be related to the long-running issue of
userParameters.  We store this as UTF8, but it isn't really a string.
We need to add an exception to our handling routines here.  Replication
with windows is likely to be particularly problematic.

This hits the other use of this parameter (terminal server settings)
much more severely.

What we need is to ensure we have (perhaps only for this attribute) a
perfect forward and reverse encode of not-really-UTF8 to ->
not-really-UTF16 (perhaps not-really-UCS2), without regard for (with
perfect transformation of) otherwise illegal sequences.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett