[Samba] bug in samba-tool w.r.t. (sub)domains

NOC noc at nieuwland.nl
Wed Jun 5 03:10:16 MDT 2013

On 06/04/2013 11:33 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 12:20 +0200, NOC wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to import our bind dns data for our domain into samba4 using
>> sambatool. Unfortunately, our domain has lots of (unnecessary)
>> subdomains, but that's hard to revert after a long time. So I will have
>> to parse the bind data and do a zonecreate for each subdomain that comes
>> out of bind. I can deal with this, but it's cumbersome :-(
>>
>> The bug I'm talking about is this, when I was trying to add a subdomain,
>> I found that samba4 retains a trailing . (dot), the root of the fqdn
>> tree, which is usually omitted. To make this even weirder, I can add
>> foo.bar.com and foo.bar.com. and both will be listed as pszZoneName when
>> asking samba-tool for "dns zonelist localhost".
>>
>> This is treated by samba as a different subdomain, so when I add
>> "x.foo.bar.com" and I later query the address for "x" in subdomain
>> "foo.bar.com.", I get an exception. (Which is also ugly, I'd rather get
>> a nice error message and proper exit code).
> I think this just got fixed in master, and might be on the way to the
> next 4.0.x.  Can you re-test GIT master so we know if we need to look
> into this more?

I'll see what I can do.

I noticed something else, which may be confusing or even wrong...

I can add both an A record and a CNAME for the same Name, I'm not sure
if this is wrong in the DNS sense, but it seems confusing to me.
When I query for ALL types, both are printed.

dig also shows both records when requesting "ANY", but the "host"
command can't resolve the name with both A and CNAME records. It can
resolve a name with just an A record. This may not be a good test,
because host appears to have trouble resolving any CNAME.

Cheers

Simon