[Samba] Configuring New Replacement Server For Samba

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 09:13:27 MDT 2013

run the "testparm -v" command - that will show you the location of key
files and directories including

smb.conf
private directory (which typically contains the  smb passwd file)
the lock and cache directory or directories (which include various TDB
files.)
netlogon directory (including netlogon scripts)
profile directory (if applicable)

You should not need to rejoin.  But you should assume that the config
for 3.5.x. may need to be tweaked to work with 3.6.x.

Non-samba files will include things like /etc/host  and /etc/resolv.conf.

When you replace one machine with another machine with the same ip,
existing machines may not be able to connect to the new machine until
the old arp entries expire.  Shd be less than one hour but more than 30
seconds.