[Samba] Need help with file corruption issue

Mon Jun 3 05:56:03 MDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:51:40PM -0400, David Coppit wrote:
> Hey Volker, thanks for the reply.
>
> > Can you explain for really stupid people what this does and where the problem is?
>
> Here's what the perl code is doing:
>
> 1) In a loop...
> 1.1) Write a file to the local disk, using a random filename and 5
> random floats followed by a newline as the content.
> 1.2) chown the file so that the samba mount user can read it
> 1.3) Read that file from a cifs mount of that very same local disk
> location, hosted by samba
> 1.4) Compare the written content versus the read content, exiting if
> they are different.
> 1.5) Delete the temp file

So you are creating files on the server side, access it from
the client side, remove it on the server side again and
create a new file server side under the same name? I would
really think this is a caching issue, the client does not
notice the file changed. The wireshark trace you sent does
not contain any file related operations, so this time the
client did not even ask the server to close and open the
file again.

Does the same also happen if you do the file
creation/deletion via Samba as well?

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de