[Samba] dynamic DNS Updates still failing, re-installed 9 more times, tried everything I could think of, now bald.

Ludek Finstrle ludek.finstrle at pzkagis.cz
Mon Jun 3 01:19:59 MDT 2013

Hello,

Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 08:16:58AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett napsal(a):
> On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 00:05 +0200, steve wrote:
> > I think that DNS is still our weakest link and I'm really pleased to see
> > the devs looking through the end user list occasionally. Until the
> > internal DNS is ready, we're stuck with bind. Let's try and make it as
> > painless as possible for ourselves.
>
> The only way we can really improve it (as far as I'm currently aware) is
> to take the bind binary, and launch it with a custom config file inside
> 'samba' like we do smbd, pointing only at our DNS zone, and with chroot
> etc disabled.
>
> That should, in theory, get us most of the control we get with the
> internal server.  Someone needs to write the patches however, and it
> would mean we gain yet another DNS mode (which may be more trouble than
> it's worth - I don't know).

I don't like this way. I know it should be easier for
installing/documenting but you have less choices in usage. To be honest
I don't like LDAP+krb builtin into samba binary with several limitations.
As I wrote I understand it's easier way but from my point of view it
is the worse one. Please don't include bind into samba. You just waste
time with it. I didn't follow the discussion about internal DNS in
samba but it also needs a lot of resources which are missing somewhere
else.

New admins will have some troubles but they'll learn new things
and also troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Luf