[Samba] dynamic DNS Updates still failing, re-installed 9 more times, tried everything I could think of, now bald.

Gary Maurizi garymaurizi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 18:40:21 MDT 2013

I want to thank you both so very much for your help.

It's another day and I'm back to it, refreshed, and determined to figure
out what is causing so many issues for the CentOS 6.4 users.

Going through the same exact steps on ubuntu 12.04 on a different machine
does give me working dynamic DNS updates, so I have isolated the issue I'm
having to CentOS only slightly.

Though bind does not run chrooted by default/at all on CentOS 6.4, I am at
the point of wondering if maybe some of the samba related features are
either compiled in and broken/buggy, or not compiled in at all for the bind
package in the base repositories.

I would like to try compiling bind 9.9 from source with all of the options
explicitly stated, but was just wondering if maybe some one could take a
look at the build options for the CentOS-Base repo version of bind and see
if anything sticks out as missing, I don't want to miss something samba
needs in 9.9 using the same options presented below, when I do this. :)

[root at server samba-master]# named -V
BIND 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.17.rc1.el6_4.4 built with
'--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--target=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr'
'--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin'
'--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
'--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
'--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-libtool' '--localstatedir=/var'
'--enable-threads' '--enable-ipv6' '--with-pic' '--disable-static'
'--disable-openssl-version-check' '--with-dlz-ldap=yes'
'--with-dlz-postgres=yes' '--with-dlz-mysql=yes'
'--with-dlz-filesystem=yes' '--with-gssapi=yes' '--disable-isc-spnego'
'--with-docbook-xsl=/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets'
'--enable-fixed-rrset' 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'CFLAGS= -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
-fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic' 'CPPFLAGS=
-DDIG_SIGCHASE'
using OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.0 29 Mar 2010
using libxml2 version: 2.7.6
[root at server samba-master]#

Thank You so much,
GM.