[Samba] nmbd is not running

Kevin Sha kevinsha02 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 03:17:37 MDT 2013

Hi

I have samba domain controller in my network. and recently I have changed
the netmask of the network. Then nmbd is not working

could you please help me to solve this issue

nmbd -i
nmbd version 3.5.6 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2010
Unknown parameter encountered: "wide symlinks"
Ignoring unknown parameter "wide symlinks"
Unknown parameter encountered: "wide symlinks"
Ignoring unknown parameter "wide symlinks"
standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
bind failed on port 137 socket_addr = 172.17.255.255.
Error = Cannot assign requested address
nmbd_subnetdb:make_subnet()
Failed to open nmb bcast socket on interface 172.17.255.255 for port 137.
Error was Cannot assign requested address
ERROR: Failed when creating subnet lists. Exiting.

-----------------
/etc/init.d/samba status
nmbd is not running ... failed!
smbd is running.

My samba configuration file
---------------------------------------

[global]
workgroup = KEVIN
netbios name = KEVINDC
server string = KEVIN Domain controller
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
%n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
unix extensions = No
add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos ""
%u
add group script = /usr/sbin/addgroup --force-badname %g
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "%u machine account"
-d /var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
logon path =
logon home =
domain logons = Yes