[Samba] Printer IP

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Tue Jul 30 23:42:56 MDT 2013

Hello Jimc,

Am 31.07.2013 06:34, schrieb jimc:
> My printer somehow got its IP changed. How do I change my server (Mint
> linux 13, Samba 4.06) to reflect the change?

I suggest not to use IP addresses in your Samba configuration. Use names
and make sure, you're having a working DNS to resolve. Then you don't
have to worry if your devices are changing their IPs. Or use static IPs
on devices that are IP-hardcoded somewhere.

Because you gave no information about your environment (Printserver
cups/lpd/..., Samba configuration section of the printer, etc) it's hard
to provide a good help. So I can only give you a very general hint: Have
a look in your printer configuration and in smb.conf, search for the old
IP in it and replace it. Most Linux distribution are shipped with a tool
for printer configuration. So this maybe is a place to start.

Regards,
Marc