[Samba] Windows 8 pro and Samba 4

isscma at aralar.edunet.es isscma at aralar.edunet.es
Mon Jul 29 08:21:05 MDT 2013

The win8 machine is able to resolve the netbios name of the server.
ping works fine. I ping the netbios name and it returns the ip address.

I attach the 4 screenshots.
- the first is the message I get on trying to join the domain
- the 2nd -> 4th is just to show the network settings of the client. We
normally leave all on default settings.

The surprising thing is that win7 and winxp join the domain without
problems and use exactly the same network settings as the win8.

I send you also my samba 4.x global configuration.

[global]
workgroup = CMARALAR
server string = Servidor
interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
bind interfaces only = Yes
deadtime = 5
load printers = No
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
/bin/false %m$
logon script = conecta.vbs
logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
logon drive = Z:
domain logons = Yes
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
ldap ssl = no
idmap config * : range =
idmap config * : backend = tdb
hide special files = Yes
hide unreadable = Yes
hide unwriteable files = Yes
veto files = /*-China*/*-runtime*/*.desktop*/

Note, I installed opensuse 12.2, after installation, I uninstalled
completely samba 3.x and installed samba 4.x, winxp, win7 joins the
domain without problems but win8 no! I remember we had the same problem
with the samba version that comes with opensuse 11.x and win7, it is
only when we installed opensuse 12.x that win7 was able to connect to
the samba version. Now the problem is with samba 3.x that comes with
opensuse 12.2 and also samba 4.x that is rumoured to support