[Samba] Windows 8 pro and Samba 4

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Tue Jul 30 10:43:49 MDT 2013

Hallo,

Am 30.07.2013 14:17, schrieb isscma at aralar.edunet.es:
 > Well, to begin with a BIG THANK YOU!!! win 8 pro joined the samba NT4
 > style domain.
 >
 > After making the 2 changes,
 > 1) put my dns suffix in computer-> properties-> computer name-> dns
 >    suffix
 > 2) add the keys to the registry with the values
 > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
 > \LanManWorkstation\Parameters]
 >
 > DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode 1
 > DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired 0
 >
 > The win8 machine joined our samba 4.0.x NT4 style domain (running on
 > opensuse 12.2) seamlessly . I also realized that it was also able to
 > join the samba 3.6.3 NT4 style domain (running on opensuse 11.4).
 >
 > Men! You can´t imagine how excited I was this morning.
 >
 > I tested 3 domain user accounts, gem, ped, testacc i.e logging into
 > the win8 as a domain user and logging out. Everything went fine.

Good to know if this solves your problem.

I'll try to clarify the Wiki article about the registry changes for that
during the next time.

 > But, at logging out win8 informs me that it could not synchronize the
 > profile perfectly and referred me to the system logs. I attach the
 > system log section as pdf.
 >
 > It seems it has problem synchronizing some folders.
 >
 > What do you think I can do about it?

I don't speak spanish. But if I use Google translate, " Es posible que
este error se deba a problemas de red o derechos de seguridad
insuficientes." I interprete it, that you maybe don't have permissions
to store the profile on the server. What are the permissions on your
profiles share (\\china\profiles)? Can a user create there a new folder
for your *.v2 profile?

 > Secondly your email raised another issue what is the difference
 > between running samba as NT4 domain style or as AD DC?

AD allows you to have a central place for user management and many more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Directory

Current windows versions can still join NT4 style domains. But they
can't use many of the great features an AD allows you to do. E. g. group
policies to preconfigure/restrict/etc. user accounts/machines, etc. Also
you can use the Windows tools for administrating accounts, groups, set
permission on shares/files, etc.

Have a look to the Samba Wiki (http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba).
There are some HowTos that show you how to setup Samba AD or migrate an
existing NT4-style domain.

But if you are currently happy with the domain you have and don't
require any of the AD features, you can of course stay on your NT4
domain. But even for small company networks AD would be a good
advancement in administration.

Regards,
Marc