[Samba] SMB throughput inquiry, Jeremy, and James' bow tie

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jul 30 03:28:15 MDT 2013

Hai,

as compairison.
Running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. kernel 3.2.0-(latest ubuntu kernel )
Samba 3.6.12 Sernet release.

1 x ssd, top speed 400Mb/s ( reallife speeds )
2 x 5400 RPM disk in raid 1, mdraid aka software raid.
Draytek 2850 with gigabit ports.
Copy speed from server to pc. about 110-120MB/s  ( aka the speed i see in windows ) large files, like 2+ Gibabit files )
Copy speed from server to pc, about 40-80MB/s files from 1-50 Mb.
Copy speed from server to pc, about 1-20MB/s  lots of small files  ( like 1kb-2Mb )

Tuning, windows side,
Power schema, High performance
disabled search indexing service.
and .
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Tuning samba side.
only, other settings are default.
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072

I suggest, upgrade your debian samba, to at lease 3.6.6 from backports.
Or use the sernet packages.

I noticed a improvement in speed after this upgrade.

In my office i'm running samba 3.6.6 from backports on debian.
On ubuntu im using the sernet packages 3.6.12

Good luck.

Louis