[Samba] Samba server accessible but not browsable from network

Lorenzo Milesi maxxer at ufficyo.com
Mon Jul 29 01:58:59 MDT 2013

Hi.
I recently moved a Samba v3.4.7 from being a PDC to a member of a Windows 2008 domain.
Everything works fine, shares are visible and usable by users, but only by typing the server name, the server is NOT visible while browsing the network.

The only "issue" i noticed is the DNS update error when doing "net ads join" command. I then manually added the DNS entry in windows and now it's accessible via \\fileserver,  but still when browsing the domain network the pc is missing.

Another "strange" thing is that "smbtree" still shows "pieces" of the old domain, showing the old name as top level domain, but without any PC in it.
I never restarted the server after the configuration change, just restarted smbd and nmbd.

I attach below the current configuration.
What could be the problem? Should I restart the host?

thanks
maxxer

# testparm -s
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[profiles]"
Processing section "[profdata]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[ufficio]"
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
[global]
        workgroup = COEL2008
        realm = COEL.LAN