[Samba] Win 2003 DC Demotion

Peter Beck peter at datentraeger.li
Sun Jul 28 09:50:53 MDT 2013

On 07/23/2013 10:49 PM, Garth Keesler wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to mention. This ONLY occurs when I join Samba 4.x to
> an existing Windows domain. When I join a Windows DC to an existing
> Samba 4.x domain, all works correctly including Forest and Domain
> bi-directional DNS repl.
>
> Thanx,
> Garth

Hi Garth,

It was once working in my test environment, but I do not know why. We
had a little discussion some months ago [1]. But most of the time I was
also having issues demoting
Windows DCs (mostly with the samba-internal DNS database which told me
the database is inconsistent as soon as I tried to add new records).
As we do have small environments with about 30 users and we do use
puppet for deployment, I have chosen not do to migration/demoting of
existing Windows domains.

I am starting now from scratch with new Samba4 domains which seems to
work very well with single or multiple domain controllers.

Sorry, not really helpful but I do not have an answer to the question.
It's just my experience.
Maybe it's because I'm using the "old" version which is used with Debian
Wheezy, I don't know.

Regards
Peter

[1] https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-February/171583.html