[Samba] Question on approach to authenticate Linux against Samba4

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Jul 25 13:59:37 MDT 2013

On 25/07/13 20:14, dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:

[SNIP]

> Step 6: I already have samba-common, and samba-common-bin (latest for
> 10.04) installed. I'd assume I need to uninstall these and install
> samba4 instead (especially as step 8 is to join the domain).

Not familiar with Ubuntu, but that is very very unlikely. Samba 3.x has
been able to be a member server of an AD domain for a long time now, and
the version included with 10.04 is almost certainly capable of doing that.

Samba4 is primarily about being able to imitate an Active Directory
domain controller. The point about joining the domain is to get a
Kerberos ticket so the machine can authenticate against the AD to do
lookups etc.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.