[Samba] nmbd needs restarted after server reboot

Kyle Frank kfrank at mix.wvu.edu
Wed Jul 24 13:00:30 MDT 2013

Hi,

I've set up a samba server as a primary domain member with AD auth.
 Everything works pretty smoothly except that when you reboot the server
samba will not work.

AFTER REBOOT:

kfrank at tldapprovider003:~$ smbclient \\\\tldapprovider003\\base
Enter kfrank's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_MORE_PROCESSING_REQUIRED
did you forget to run kinit?

I don't have kerberos installed or even need kerberos in my set up.
 Another weird thing to report is that when I attempt to use sudo commands
they hang for 3-5 minutes:

 kfrank at tldapprovider003:~$ time sudo su -
root at tldapprovider003:~# exit
logout

real 5m25.089s
user 0m0.216s
sys 0m0.272s

Through a little debugging I found that if you restart nmbd sudo commands
are fast as they were before and samba runs as it should again.  That's a
quick fix but I'd like samba to run flawlessly on reboot without having to
restart nmbd.

A little more poking about reveals that if I comment out the "wins server"
line in smb.conf and reboot sudo doesn't hang and nmbd is running.  However
I samba can't find the AD servers to auth against.

W/ WINS SERVER COMMENTED AFTER REBOOT:

kfrank at tldapprovider003:~$ time sudo su -
root at tldapprovider003:~# exit
logout

real 0m3.217s
user 0m0.248s
sys 0m0.200s
kfrank at tldapprovider003:~$ service nmbd status
nmbd start/running, process 752
kfrank at tldapprovider003:~$ smbclient \\\\tldapprovider003\\base
Enter kfrank's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
kfrank at tldapprovider003:~$

I read on some forum post (sorry lost the link) that to solve this you need
to put a mkdir line in your /etc/init/nmbd.conf (see attached files).  This
works for a few reboots but after the 4th or 5th time the same problem with
nmbd occurs again.  Is this a bug with nmbd or am I just missing something?

Thx in advance