[Samba] memory consumption with treesize pro and cifs shares

Cy Mike cymike at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 19:59:32 MDT 2013

Hi everyone. I'm looking to solve an issue with Samba on a NAS being
accessed with TreeSize Pro. Using that program to scan through millions of
files is eating up memory on swap and eventually crashing the system. It's
scanning mounted CIFS shares on the NAS running TrueNAS with samba version
3.6.9

We have a test case and have been able to replicate the issue on another
machine.

The "solution" right now is to simply not run TreeSize Pro. Not the best of
plans.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to check the usual manuals/google
sources to see if I can find anything. I haven't as yet and am short on
time with this. Basically looking to see if this is an actual bug that
might require a patch/upgrade, or something I can fix with some tuneables.

Thanks,
Mike