[Samba] Winbind troubles

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jul 23 02:15:05 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 09:40 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai,
>

> I'm having exactly the same problem with winbind as Matthew Daubenspeck.
> also on ubuntu 12.04 with sernet packages. ( used sernet-samba-winbind 4.0.7 )
>
> I remove the complete config atm but am at the point reinstalling now.
> I'll wait with that until you put you howto on.
> i cant loose the rfc2307 :-(
> and i cant lose control over uidNumber, gidNumber, home directories and login shells.
> and im adding a second DC later on, but whats the difference between RID and AD exactly.
> or just these 4 things?

With AD you get exactly what _you_ put into the directory. There are no
algorithms or separate databases used to confuse an already complicated
issue. You put rfc2307 in AD and you get it back out when you need it,
e.g. when a user logs in.

> I'll go try the sssd as suggested below on ubuntu 12.04.

+1
sssd just works: there is plain English documentation available and you
get rfc2307 out of the box. The same day;)

otoh, if you must stick with winbind there are reports of success here.
Just one more thought to bugzilla it.

¡Suerte!