[Samba] Can someone explain SMB passwords?

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 22 02:07:34 MDT 2013

> From: Volker Lendecke [mailto:Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE]
>
> "force user" happens after any user authentication. Samba
> uses the client provided username to find the entry in the
> smbpasswd file. After that succeeded, when connecting to the
> share, it will switch back to root for accessing files. But
> the local user must exist for Samba to let the user in at
> all.

So is there ANY way to provide access to a share, with only a password, not
caring about a username? Or must I pick a name (e.g., "root") and tell all
clients to log in under that username? If I do the latter, and root isn't
listed in smbpasswd, will it just do ordinary Unix authentication, demanding
a password that matches the local root password? Is the purpose of an SMB
password to allow a client to be assigned a different password, without
having to reveal the local Unix one? Or MUST I list "root" in smbpasswd with
the same password as the local Unix one?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com