[Samba] Can someone explain SMB passwords?

Sun Jul 21 06:44:06 MDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 01:34:23AM -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> You completely misunderstood my question. I'm asking something much simpler
> and more basic than all that. What's an SMB password for, and how does it
> relate to a Unix password?

With the Samba password stored on the server a client can
convince the Samba server about it's identity. That's called
authentication. The Samba password has no relationship at
all to the unix password, it is a completely separate thing.

> Here's the situation. I have a directory on a machine, and the files in it
> are created by a service which runs as root, so the files are owned by root
> and only locally accessible to root. I need to make this directory

You could set up a normal Samba server, and for this
particular share use "force user = root". Be aware this
option is pretty dangerous, but it is made for that
situation.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de