[Samba] Administrative users on domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 13:39:46 MDT 2013

On 07/17/13 15:02, Donny Brooks wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 01:53 PM CDT, Gaiseric Vandal <gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Looks like I need to do this here: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/groupmapping.html
>>>
>>> And map our itgroup to the Domain Admins group. Although we do have a Domain Admins group in ldap. Should that cause an issue?
>> Group mapping is to make sure Windows groups map to the correct unix
>> group.      This is not like mapping a Windows user name to a different
>> unix user name (e.g Windows Administrator = Unix root.)
>>
>> With LDAP, group mapping is usually simpler since the LDAP object for a
>> group usually has the Samba SID and the unix group id.     The "net
>> groupmap list" command is useful for validating this.   You want to make
>> sure that you do see group mapping for "Domain Admins" and "Domain
>> Users" and other well known groups.  You are more likely to have to use
>> the "net groupmap add" command when you don't have LDAP.
>>

>> Well known groups have to specific relative ID's.  The domain admin
>> group HAS to have a relative ID of 512 in the SID.    You have to make
>> sure the Administrator is in the group.   That behavior changes with
>> versions newer than 3.0.x
>>

>> #net  groupmap list
>> Domain Admins (S-1-5-21-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-512) -> Domain Admins
>> # getent group "Domain Admins"
>> Domain Admins::512:Administrator
>> #
>>

>> I don't think you have a samba issue.  I think you have a general
>> "windows" issue about the most practical way to provide IT group with
>> sufficient privileges to manage computers with out giving too much access.
>>

>> Depending on the size of your IT department, and the necessity to
>> audit/control you makes what change, each IT user may need two accounts,
>> one that is a regular account and one that is a member of the domain
>> admins and local admins  group.  (e.g. donny and donny_admin.)    this
>> way they can do whatever they need, but they don't run as admin for
>> routine tasks, and you can track who made what change (if need be)  or
>> limit who has full  admin rights.
>>

> It is correctly mapped and is 512. Nothing changed on the windows side during the domain change other than removing the machines from the old domain and rejoining them to the new one. We don't have to have the accounting trail that two accounts would give us right now. I just want to be able to tell my other people they can join computers to the domain and perform software upgrades with their own credentials.

OK
I am looking at your original post again.      I don't think you said
which version you had been using.

net rpc rights grant 'MDAH\Domain Admins' SeMachineAccountPrivilege -S enterprise -U superusername

Is the superuser name the domain Administrator account?   The problem
seems to involve the superusername user, not the Domain Admins
group.     I think with older version of samba, the Administrator
account was implicit, and  you could map the windows Administrator to
the unix root account and all was OK.  With the current version I think
you need you create an Administrator samba user  (it doesn't have to be
called Administrator but I would do that just to keep things simple) and
add that user to the Domain Admins group.

Does "pdbedit -Lv Administrator" or "pbedit -Lv superusername" work?

You could add the user IT users to the domain admins group.     Then you
have all the privileges you need.    You should  NOT need to grant
SeMachineAccountPrivilege to the Domain Admins group.

Can you post a sanitized version of the Domain Admin group LDIF?