[Samba] Win2003 DC fails to detect Samba 4 DC

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Mon Jul 15 10:47:34 MDT 2013

On 07/13/2013 02:08 PM, Garth Keesler wrote:
> Well, I read several threads on this issue but none solved what I have
> going so I'll re-ask the question: Should I be able to join a Samba
> 4.0.7 server to a Windows 2003R2 AD that has been raised to the forest
> level of 2003 and then be able to demote the Win DC? As stated below,
> the Win Admin tools recognize the Samba DC as one of two DCs in the
> domain but the Win DC will not recognize Samba as such when trying to
> demote the Win DC. The FSMO roles will move to the Samba server but
> the DNS MMC will not recognize the Samba DC as a DC either.
Normally it should be the case, I would have a look at the samba box for
error related to DNS (ie. impossible to bind on port 53). Which kind of
DNS setup do you have ? (internal, bind 9.x dlz, flat file) ?

Which DNS server ip the *nix box running Samba 4.0.x is using ?
> Is there an easy way to orphan the Win DC after just shutting it down?
> I'd be willing to do that.
Yes. From the Active Directory User and Computer you select the DC and
remove it, you might have to go to Active Directory Domain and Site and
remove the links to the old DC as well.

But if the s4 DC is working well the demote should work well.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team