[Samba] What great things can a non-windows user do with Samba

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 17:50:15 MDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 13:46 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
>> At Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:52:49 -0400 Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I ask this question about once a decade.
>> >
>> > I have about 7 computers, all Linux or BSD. Are there any cool things I
>> > can do with Samba, even though I have no Windows computers?
>>
>> Not really.  Samba is just a tool to deal with pesky mess-windows machines.
>> On a pure UNIX (Linux, BSD, Solaris, AIX, etc.) LAN, Samba is about as useful
>> as Air Conditioners in Antartica in the middle of the Antartic winter.
>
> Hi
> We network stand alone Linux and xp boxes using s4 AD. As the windows
> desks break and virus, we replace them with Linux. We have no intention
> of replacing Samba4 with anything else if the lan becomes pure Linux.

The new integrated Kerberos/LDAP management from Samba 4 is better
than OpenLDAP, especially with multiple platforms such as MacOS,
windows, UNIx, and Linux. It's also handy for testing software for
Windows based environments, such as source files that are mixed case
but overlapping when put on CIFS, such ag getLen.h and GetLen.h.