[Samba] Accessing sysvol results in fatal PANIC: internal error

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Fri Jul 12 20:48:41 MDT 2013

Hello,

I am currently testing two Samba 4.0.6 AD DCs. I've noticed that permissions in the sysvol directory do not seem to be consistent. Some GPs are owned by root, while others are owned by DOMAIN\Domain Admins. Attempting to fix the permissions with "samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset" while samba is running results in a "PANIC: internal error". In fact, even trying to "ls -l" the directories inside of the sysvol directory causes a PANIC. The domain is then unusable until I restart samba. Here is a verbose log with "log level = 3": http://pastebin.com/F1tSZVNf

What is the correct/safe way to fix permissions on the sysvol directory (and why do they get changed like this) and what is a safe way to sync the sysvol directory between DCs (rsync causes this same PANIC)?

Thanks,

Andrew Martin