[Samba] About NAS versus Samba

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Fri Jul 12 08:55:05 MDT 2013

Hi Andrew,

> I work on a NAS product myself, and at this vendor and my previous
> vendor Samba 4.0 as an AD DC was all I ever needed to use to test the
> AD integration features of the NAS. Thanks, Andrew Bartlett
Please tell me which product this is, so I can contact the local
reseller. :-) You can send me in pvt if you think it would not be
ethical to advertise your employee on the list.

Sales people here (and their "technical" consultants) don't know / don't
care about Samba. Every time I ask about samba compatibility they try to
sell me Windows and VmWare licenses. They even lie trying to make my
employee buy those licenses and ditch Linux altogether.

I am only saved because of some previous incidents where I told my boss
"either they are lying or they don't know", showing technical references
from vendors themselves and standards bodies, but was overruled. Later
my boss found I was right the had way: products didn't worked as
expected, company lost money.

Most non-IT people, even many IT people, wrongly believe the vendor
people should be the better experts and so any conflict of opinion they
should be right. When it fails, the IT manager or the business area
manager hide it, so they don't take blame for the wrong decision
consequences. :-(

If I someone tell me "this product works" I can by knowing if something
bad happens it's something I can solve. Sometimes the management
interface for a product won't let you do things the embebed software
could do, so I don't want to risk a product without someone telling me
"this one worked for me".

[]s, Fernando Lozano