[Samba] About NAS versus Samba

Jim Potter jimpotter at orange.net
Fri Jul 12 00:43:36 MDT 2013

I use a Netgear readynas1500 as a fileserver for my Samba3/ldap domain
which I' ve just upgraded to AD and it works fine in both cases (lots of
users, though with relatively few active connections). It runs a bog
standard Samba3 + winbind member server (NT or ADS) as far as I can tell.

Having said that, the 2 shortcomings I have found are with windows 7
clients...  troubles doing offline files (there are  bunch of tweaks,
but none work perfectly) and it doesnt work too well with the libraries
feature in win7 (it needs indexing o some sort that isn't povided by
samba I think)

BTW, would a Samba4 member server setup help with these issues? If it
did, I'd upgrade even if it did invaidate warranty...

cheers

Jim