[Samba] About NAS versus Samba

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Thu Jul 11 12:37:45 MDT 2013

Al 11/07/13 18:43, En/na Fernando Lozano ha escrit:
> Hi Tony,
>
>> RE: [Samba] About NAS versus Samba
>>
>> I've had experience with a Western Digital "MyBook Live DUO", and it
>> does NOT support any type of network authentication.  Users must be
>> created and deleted on that device.
>>

> Thanks. May good for home use, but not for my employee.
>
> Anyway a vendor told me "this works with linux" but was unable to give
> details about authentication.

If it may interest you, I tried a couple of lacie devices (a 5big and a
network space 2) and, while they use linux+samba, their interface only
allows joining an AD domain. I "hacked" the network space by replacing
the stock firmware with debian so I could join it to my samba 3 domain.
I didn't bother to modify the 5big (no easy way to do it a the time and
the changes made via a backdoor shell would be reverted on boot), so
we're using it as an unauthenticated data store (for standard software,
catalogues, etc.).

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti