[Samba] What great things can a non-windows user do with Samba

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Thu Jul 11 10:49:29 MDT 2013

Hi Steve,

> I have about 7 computers, all Linux or BSD. Are there any cool things I
> can do with Samba, even though I have no Windows computers?
I'd use Samba only to support Windows users. Samba provides three things:

1. File Services
2. Print Services
3. Network Logons

As you are a Unix-only shop, you have other (better) alternatives:

1. NFS, AFS
2. CUPS, LPD
3. LDAP, NIS, Kerberos

Some people already know how to configure Samba, because they needed it
for mixed Unix/Windows shops, and keeps using it for Unix-only shops.
That's fine, you won't have to learn NFS, LDAP, etc. But if you already
know those, and not Samba, adding samba would bring no value IMHO.

[]s, Fernando Lozano