[Samba] About NAS versus Samba

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 10:07:03 MDT 2013

On 07/11/13 11:50, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>>> Sure, but non available to buy as a software-only
>>> product to my knowledge. They all come with hardware
>>> attached :-).
>> right, *I* can't buy the software, but a NAS vendor can license it for
>> a product that I can buy.
> No, they all write their own these days. None available
> to license as far as I'm aware.
I had an small iomega personal/workgroup NAS box (I think it was a
snapserver.)   It did run linux but the samba version didn't  work with
our samba 3.x PDC's.    I think both were 3.0.x so it could have been
some issue with our samba implementation.    It did work with a Windows
2003 AD but that wasn't  much use.     Some of the NAS's are now based
on Windows Server.    But I don't think any vendor will talk about samba
compatibility (let alone promise it.)     The Oracle/Sun NAS servers are
based on on Solaris11 or OpenSolaris.

Even if a NAS works with your current environment there is no guarantee
the vendor will provide patches to keep it working in the future as you
apply security fixes or patches to your samba servers.    For samba
users implementing a NAS might not simplify things.  If you were a
windows only show them a NAS is probably great for a small site.       I
would stick with a real linux/samba server-   you then have complete
configuration control.