[Samba] Logon scripts, home directories, and Samba4 AD

Lee Allen lee at leecallen.com
Tue Jul 2 10:39:45 MDT 2013

I have two separate (virtual) servers: one running Samba4 functioning as an
AD controller, and one running Samba 3.6.1  functioning as a file & print
server.

I am using security=ads and winbind.  Everything is working great.

Where things get a little messy is with the [homes] shares.

Here is what I am doing now:

My Samba3 smb.conf has a typical [homes] section.  I create a subdirectory
for each user, and set ownership & permissions.

I create a logon script on the Samba4 system -- one for each user, because
the username is embedded in it:
net use H: \\samba3\username

And then I use RSAT to set the logon script to the correct value for each
user.

It's just a lot of steps that need to be performed (perfectly) for each
user.  Is there a better way?

I see RSAT allows me to specify a "Home folder".  Could this be a folder on
the Samba3 server -- ie, \\samba3\username ? (I tried that and it did not
work)

I can imagine some scripts that would create the logon script on the Samba4
system, and create the necessary directories on the Samba3 system.  I could
probably manage that, but I hate to re-invent the wheel --

If there is a clean, orthodox way to do this, I would like to know what it
is.

Thank you.

--
*Lee Allen*