[Samba] file server or member server?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jul 2 01:28:09 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 19:55 -0500, Ricky Nance wrote:

> I feel like I am saying what has already been said, so if you could be
> more specific about what kind of hierarchy you have, I could give you
> a more specific answer. For the most part, if its serving files and in
> a domain, but not providing authentication itself, its a 'member
> server', if its NOT in a domain, but simply serving files to any and
> all windows clients, its a simple file server, if its in a domain and
> providing the domain with username/password authentication its a
> domain server (or domain controller).

Phew, I think I'm getting there.
OK, I have:
1. a 4.0.6 DC
It serves these files selfishly:
[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/hh3.site/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        read only = No

2. A 4.0.6 box joined to the domain. It serves profiles, home
directories, stuff that groups can rw to and anything else you can throw
at it e.g.
[users]
path = /home/users
read only = No

[profiles]
path = /home/profiles
read only = No

[shared]
path = /home/shared
read only = No

/home/profiles and /home/shared have ace's set to mimic what we would
otherwise have to set in smb.conf

Do I have this?
1. is a domain controller and a file server.
2. is a member server and a file server.

Another question, why do you say:
'...its a domain server (or domain controller).'
Which _is_ it? If it's the same thing then why does it have two names?

This thread may seem like a waste of space to many, but it's merely the
tip of the iceberg for us. Our main problem is that we are not dealing
with native English speakers. The grammatical and interpretational
problems which this list and the samba documentation in general throw up
are at times insurmountable.

Thank you all for the patience which you afford us.