[Samba] file server or member server?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Jul 1 16:34:14 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 22:36 +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

Thanks for the input. But. . .

> In both NT4 style and AD domains you have servers called domain servers

. . .now you've introduced yet another term. What's a domain server? I
could make a guess and I'm almost certain it would be correct. But would
I?

Can anyone simply give a plain English definition on any of these in a
samba context:
- file server
- member server
and now
- domain server

I know that language evolves, but having to move the goalposts so often
depending on what post you read is a nightmare for non native English
speakers. It would help enormously over here, if we all stuck to calling
a spade a spade.

Thanks for reading,
Steve