[Samba] file server or member server?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Jul 1 10:04:17 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 09:59 -0400, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:

[SNIP]

> A domain controller   can be a file server, although in many cases a
> domain controller will only provide authentication and logon
> functions.    It does need to have file shares to provide access to to
> the logon scripts and profile directories used by Windows clients but
> that doesn't really make a a file server.

The profile directories can be located on a server other than a domain
controller. This is true for both NT4 style PDC/BDC and Active Directory
servers.

If you have a lot of users in your domain this is highly desirable. As
the profile location is a setting in the directory, you can even have
different users profiles on different servers which allows you to shard
the profiles if you have a really large number of users.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.