[Samba] ACLs on a directory on GPFS

Andras Frankel Andras.Frankel at mcgill.ca
Thu Jan 31 13:41:59 MST 2013

Hello,

I am using the vfs_gpfs samba module to map ACLs through samba. It works
fine on files, but directory ACLs are ignored. Ex:

getfacl /sb/share/myplace/

file: sb/share/myplace/
owner: root
group: root
user::rwx
user:afrankel:rwx
group::---
mask::rwx
other::---

When I try to access this folder in Windows, I get permission denied.
The same permissions on a files, I can open it / modify it without any
problems.

Here is my seetings :

    mmlsfs sb

-D nfs4 File locking semantics in effect
-k all ACL semantics in effect

/etc/samba/smb.conf :
---------------------

clustering = yes
fileid:mapping = fsname
vfs objects = shadow_copy2 syncops gpfs fileid
shadow:snapdir = .snapshots
shadow:fixinodes =yes
gpfs:sharemodes = Yes
gpfs:leases = Yes
posix locking = Yes
kernel oplocks = Yes
level2 oplocks = no
force unknown acl user = Yes
nfs4: mode = special
nfs4: chown = yes
nfs4: acedup = merge

[share]
read only = No
browseable = yes
path = /sb/share
map acl inherit = yes
inherit acls = no
dos filemode = no
create mask = 0770
force create mode = 0770
directory mask = 0777

Versions :

GPFS v3.4.0-18 on Linux.
samba-3.5.10-114

Did anybody else has experienced this? Note that if I replace 'gpfs'
module with 'acl_xattr' modules, it seems to work fine. Can I use samba
on gpfs without the GPFS module?

Thanks,

Andras