[Samba] uid/gid not being used when logging into RHEL -> Windows Server 2012 Active Directory

John Mancuso jkmancuso at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:09:18 MST 2013

I am using samba/winbind to connect a RHEL5.8 linux box to a new Windows
Server box which has Unix Identity Mapping installed. So I have all the
uidNumber/gidNumber stuff in the windows schema.

I am able to login but I am not getting the right uid/gid. My AD uids start
at around 800. FYI I am new to winbind. Apparently the ID mapping has
changed again in samba 3.6 but I'm not really understanding.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_3.6_Features_added/changed#ID_Mapping_Changes

root at test:~ · 03:55 AM Thu Jan 31 ·
!546 # su - test9
su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/test9: No such file or
directory
-bash-3.2$ id
uid=16777224(test9) gid=16777216(domain users) groups=16777216(domain users)
-bash-3.2$ exit

uid should be in the 8xx range. Not 1677224...

Some info:

smb.cnf:
[global]
   workgroup = MYCOMPANY
   password server = pekdc01.mycompany.net
   realm = MYCOMPANY.NET
   security = domain
   idmap uid = 800-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap config MYCOMPANY: backend = ad
   template homedir = /home/%U
   template shell = /bin/bash
   winbind use default domain = true
   winbind offline logon = true
   idmap config MYCOMPANY : schema_mode = rfc2307

root at test:~ · 04:02 AM Thu Jan 31 ·
!548 # rpm -qa | grep samba
samba3x-common-3.6.6-0.129.el5
samba3x-client-3.6.6-0.129.el5