[Samba] trouble with ldap authentication on centos+openldap

Morgan Toal mtoal at burlingtoniowa.org
Mon Jan 28 10:14:53 MST 2013

Hi Samba List,

I've been trying to get a samba+ldap working on centos 6.3. I've had
some troubles adapting to the new slapd.d configuration format for the
openldap, which seems unnecassarily complicated. Most of the tutorials
refer to the older style slapd.conf configuration. I was following this
tutorial:

http://linuxserverathome.com/articles/installing-and-configuring-openldap-2423-centos-63
http://linuxserverathome.com/articles/using-samba-share-files-windows-part-1
http://linuxserverathome.com/articles/using-samba-share-files-windows-part-2

I've got ldap working, I can do a unix login as an ldap user. But I
cannot browse to the samba server. What seems to be happening is that
samba is not authenticating with with ldap correctly, I see this in my logs:

Jan 28 09:09:44 city1 net: [2013/01/28 09:09:44.664956,  0]
lib/smbldap.c:1151(smbldap_connect_system)
Jan 28 09:09:44 city1 net:   failed to bind to server
ldap://city1.burlingtoniowa.org with
dn="cn=samba,dc=burlingtoniowa,dc=org" Error: Invalid credentials
Jan 28 09:09:44 city1 net:   #011(unknown)

Looks like the ldap password is set in the following configuration files:

     olcDatabase={0}config.ldif
     olcDatabase={2}bdb.ldif

I am thinking most of this is done in olcDatabase={2}bdb.ldif, here's
what I think is the relevant part of it:

olcAccess: {0}to attrs=userPassword,shadowLastChange by
dn="cn=samba,dc=burlin
  gtoniowa,dc=org" write by anonymous auth by self write by * none
olcAccess: {1}to dn.base="" by * read
olcAccess: {2}to * by dn="cn=samba,dc=burlingtoniowa,dc=org"  write by *
read
olcRootPW: {SSHA}-------------------redacted---------------------
olcSuffix: dc=burlingtoniowa,dc=org

here's the ldap part of my smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = CITY
server string = city1
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://city1.burlingtoniowa.org
log level = 3
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
os level = 65
wins support = Yes
ldap admin dn = cn=samba,dc=burlingtoniowa,dc=org
ldap group suffix = ou=groups
ldap passwd sync = yes
ldap suffix = dc=burlingtoniowa,dc=org
ldap user suffix = ou=people
cups options = raw

Your input and suggestions are appreciated.... Thanks!