[Samba] Samba4 Winbind - is it really not possible to be sensible?

Rob McCorkell xenopathic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:43:37 MST 2013

Samba3 allowed for the setting of idmaps and passdb backends to
configure how users were pulled in. This made integrating with existing
LDAP databases, other other forms of authentication easy, since Samba
could be configured to present the same UID and GID as directly from the
[insert other auth method here] system. All was good.

Unfortunately Samba4 seems to have removed much of that functionality. I
understand that in an AD context, passdb backend doesn't really make
very much sense, so removing that was fair. What I do not understand is
why Winbind cannot be configured to use certain idmaps, more
specifically the RID mapping. This would make it significantly easier to
integrate LDAP authenticating clients into Samba4, for example using
nslcd to map the UIDs and GIDs. The current implementation is forced
into using allocated *IDs, which are not consistent across machines.
But all in all this is not a big problem, since although machines get
different *IDs, they use the CIFS protocol which uses usernames instead,
so each machine knows who a user is. The problem is when a server that
runs Samba4 as a file server uses LDAP to get user information. When a
client connects, Samba4 the user UID which is allocated. Samba4 then
finds the home share, but since the UID on the home share (dutifully
mapped by nslcd from the RID on the end of the objectSid) doesn't match
the allocated one, it refuses access.

All that nslcd does in this case is map a UID to the RID from the
objectSid in LDAP. This is a very simple mapping - just get the end of
the string, where the first bit is the domain SID. Samba3 supported RID
mapping in this fashion, but I do not understand why this was not ported
across to Samba4. It would only change the UIDs and GIDs as seen by
Samba, which as far as I know are used very little within Samba, where
the objectSid is used instead.

Of course, it could be that I have a massive misunderstanding of the
internals of Samba4, and there is a reason why this functionality wasn't
brought across.

Rob