[Samba] [Samba 4] Issues with uidNumber and gidNumber in AD for Linux clients

Fred F frederik.vogelsang at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 06:32:38 MST 2013

Thanks for your statement, Andrew. I know about winbind and we've used
it in the past, but I remember there were some issues when dealing
with POSIX ACLs and windbind.

Now while winbind might work in some environments, I think it would be
much nicer and cleaner to integrate Linux clients into a Samba AD
domain with "native" Linux tools. The PAM part is very easy and works
great already with Samba 4 and Linux clients using Kerberos. The only
somewhat troublesome part is the NSS information
(passwd/groups/shadow), which would also not really be an issue if
Samba 4 properly implemented separation between users and groups in
POSIX ACLs (#9521).

I guess I'll take a second look at winbind then.

Regards,
 Frederik