[Samba] problem joining AD domain

Paolo Supino paolo.supino at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 04:44:27 MST 2013

Hi

I'm trying to make a Linux server (RHEL 5.3) join my company's ADS
domain. The company's domain is built from serveral kerberos realms
and Windows domain. the Linux FQDN resolves to the name of one of the
kerberos realms we have, but I was asked to to have the linux server
join a different kerberos realm and windows Domain. When  I attempt to
run the command: 'net ads join -U [account] -w [domain]. I get the
following error:
Failed to set servicePrincipalNames. Please ensure that
the DNS domain of this server matches the AD domain,
Or rejoin with using Domain Admin credentials.

I know it's possible because it was done in the company in the past
(unfortunately) the sysadmin that did it no longer works here and no
one else knows how to reproduce how he did it.

I know this email is scarce on helpfull information. I simply don't
know what information to supply (I have the output of join with -d 4
and -d 10 debug levels).

TIA
Paolo