[Samba] Users and groups without Winbind

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Sat Jan 19 14:24:03 MST 2013

On 19/01/13 17:28, Zane Zakraisek wrote:
> I'm just curious how this works. I've set up an Active Directory Domain
> controller using Samba 4.0.0. I DO NOT have Winbind configured.
The only configuration for winbind on the server is:
ln -s /usr/local/samba/lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 /lib/libnss_winbind.so
ln -s /lib/libnss_winbind.so /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2

and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf and adding 'winbind' to the passwd &
group lines, but you do not have to do this.

> When I run
> "ls -al /samba/share/directory" I notice that I have users named like
> 3000000 belonging to the group "users". Without windbind configured, how do
> I have users and groups inside of my Samba domain (for instance the
> administrator account) mapping to users inside of my Linux server (user
> 30000000)? I was always under the impersonation that with Samba 4.0.0
> (without Winbind configured) that all files and folders that Samba users
> created would appear as one user with one group, and then Samba had its own
> groups (like domain admins for example) that it would separate all the
> files and folders into. Just trying to figure out how it all works.
Samba 4.0.0 is nothing like any of the previous version, try doing some
internet reading, but substitute windows AD for samba 4.0.0 in your
searches, this should help you to understand how Samba 4.0.0 works.

Rowland

believed to be clean.