[Samba] Users and groups without Winbind

Zane Zakraisek doublezane at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 10:28:31 MST 2013

I'm just curious how this works. I've set up an Active Directory Domain
controller using Samba 4.0.0. I DO NOT have Winbind configured. When I run
"ls -al /samba/share/directory" I notice that I have users named like
3000000 belonging to the group "users". Without windbind configured, how do
I have users and groups inside of my Samba domain (for instance the
administrator account) mapping to users inside of my Linux server (user
30000000)? I was always under the impersonation that with Samba 4.0.0
(without Winbind configured) that all files and folders that Samba users
created would appear as one user with one group, and then Samba had its own
groups (like domain admins for example) that it would separate all the
files and folders into. Just trying to figure out how it all works.