[Samba] pam_smbpass.so on AIX

Benjamin Huntsman BHuntsman at mail2.cu-portland.edu
Fri Jan 18 12:20:28 MST 2013

Yet another odd one...

I've got it set up now so that swat uses pam_smbpass.so, and once a user logs into swat at least once, it'll update their password in the passdb backend configured for Samba.  But, I also need to ensure that when a user changes their password via passwd, it also gets updated.  I added the following in /etc/security/login.cfg:

usw:
     auth_type = PAM_AUTH

and that makes telnetd, passwd, etc all go through pam.

However, when I try to log in via telnet or run passwd, I get this in syslog.log:

Jan 18 10:59:06 systst auth|security:debug login PAM: load_modules: /usr/lib/security/pam_aix
Jan 18 10:59:06 systst auth|security:debug login PAM: load_function: successful load of pam_sm_authenticate
Jan 18 10:59:06 systst auth|security:debug login PAM: load_modules: /opt/samba-4.0.0/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
Jan 18 10:59:06 systst auth|security:debug login PAM: open_module: /opt/samba-4.0.0/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so failed: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
Jan 18 10:59:06 systst auth|security:err|error login PAM: load_modules: can not open module /opt/samba-4.0.0/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so

However, if I run swat, it'll load /opt/samba-4.0.0/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so just fine.  No, it's not a typo, and yes, the module is present in that path.

I don't know what to do.  I need to deploy this tomorrow (Saturday), and the users need to be able to update their Samba passwords when they run passwd, etc.  Replacing the system passwd program with a script that calls both from absolute paths is not a workable solution, though technically it would work.

Anyway, any idea why swat can load pam_smbpass.so but not telnetd or passwd?

Many thanks!

-Ben