[Samba] Switching between acl_tdb and acl_xattr

Steve Tice stic6021 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:14:37 MST 2013

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet <at> samba.org> writes:

> Using Samba 4.0.0, the python bindings or even samba-tool ntacl get/set
> would be quite a good choice here.  We can read directly the NT ACL from
> the tdb and then set it using the xattr code.
>
> I'm very happy to help out if you have any more questions here, as we
> certainly do have a good range of tools that should be able to help you
> out.

Andrew, here's a status update on my attempts to accomplish this.

1. Attempted to build the "source4" tree provided with the source tarball
for the samba-3.5.10-125.el6 package. The build did not complete, failing
when it tried to link bin/wbinfo. The pertinent output from make was

  Linking bin/wbinfo
  bin/mergedobj/cli_auth.o: In function `netlogon_creds_copy':
  (.text+0x17e3): undefined reference to `dom_sid_dup'
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  make: *** [bin/wbinfo] Error 1

2. Successfully built (everything) from a samba-4.0.0beta8 tarball.

Would you expect the "source4" tree from the samba-3.5.10-125.el6
tarball to build without error? If it did build cleanly, would it
even include the tools you mentioned above?

Is it reasonable to continue on this path with samba-4.0.0beta8?

Thanks,
stic