[Samba] samba-tool dbcheck produces wrong instancetype errors

Chris Lewis clewis at inview.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 04:19:47 MST 2013

On 11/01/13 12:22, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 16:50 +0000, Chris Lewis wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have joined a samba4 instance to en existing W2k8 AD domain as an
>> additional domain controller.
>>
>> When I do
>>
>> samba-tool dbcheck
>>
>> I get (example) :
>>
>> ERROR: wrong instanceType 4 on CN=INVIEW-DC2,OU=Domain
>> Controllers,DC=inview,DC=local, should be 0
>> Not changing instanceType from 4 to 0 on CN=INVIEW-DC2,OU=Domain
>> Controllers,DC=inview,DC=local
>>

>> This happens for  644 out of 655 of the objects in directory. I have
>> attempted to fix one or two less important objects and the error does
>> not appear again.
>>
>> Before I go ahead and fix them all, I want to find out whether doing
>> this would have any unwanted ramifications?
>>
>> Can anyone explain what causes these errors and if fixing them might
>> break something?
> That's a very interesting question.  0 seems the wrong value, if you are
> a read-write DC.
>
> I suspect we are getting the domain join stuff wrong, so we then trigger
> this incorrectly in dbcheck.
>
> Andrew Bartlett
Hi Andrew,

For info:

I did some further comparisons with the test environment and found that
the production environment was set to Windows 2000 Domain & Windows 2000
Forest functional levels.  I changed the the domain functional level to
windows 2003 (which the test environment was on), and re-added the
additional domain controller.

I then got no errors in the samba-tool dbcheck and this also seemed to
fix another problem with replication I was experiencing.

Best regards

Chris

--
Chris Lewis