[Samba] unable to access shares on Windows 98 machine

John Dearden john.dearden at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 13 14:58:22 MST 2013

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS on a new laptop. Everything seems
great, except...

I have this old Windows 98 machine that I treat as a server (no remarks,
please). I've had it for a long time. When I access the shares from the
Ubuntu 12.0.4 machine, a lot of files and directories that I know are
there do not show up.

I've tried just browsing to the shares in nautilus, places -> networks
-> Windows Network, pick the machine, pick the share.

I've also used the following command line to mount the share:

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.14/D /mnt/server_d -o
user=john,servern=SERVER,sec=lanman

Same results either way.

After six months of searching for answers on the internet, all I found
are two clues. If I connect to the share using "smbclient \\server\d",
then type "dir", some of the files listed are missing the first letter
of the name. Also, I found a bug listed on launchpad: "2.6.31 - Can't
see files in CIFS-mounted directories", which describes a similar
problem. From that I learned that if I use the "noserverino" option to
mount, I can see all the files. I also have to use dir_mode and
file_mode to get the modes right, though.

Finally, I dragged out an older laptop that has Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS on
it. It works just fine. Nautilus finds the share, allows me to edit
files, everything.

Also, I fired up my old Windows XP machine. I don't see any problems
with accessing a share on that, so it seems like the problem is between
Ubuntu 12.04.1 and Windows 98.

Samba on the 12.04 machine is version 3.6.3. Samba on the 10.04 machine
is version 3.4.7.

Any ideas? Is there some way to tell samba "when you talk to the windows
98 machine, he's old and cranky, so you have to talk like this for him
to understand"?

thanks in advance,
John