[Samba] Switching between

Fri Jan 11 14:47:55 MST 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:59:08PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 08:31:57PM +0000, Steve Tice wrote:
> > Jeremy Allison <jra <at> samba.org> writes:
> >

> > > There's no code in Samba to do this unless you're doing it
> > > via a client.
> > >
> > > You could write custom code to pull the data out of the tdb
> > > and re-store as EA's on the files, but that's outside the scope
> > > of the tools we provide.
> > >
> > > Jeremy.
> >
> > Thanks Jeremy for confirming what I expected. I imagine the best
> > documentation for writing such a migration would be the source
> > for the VFS modules. Are there any other places to look for such
> > info? For example, something that shows how to fetch a record from
> > a TDB, and something that shows how to store ACL data in an EA.
>
> No, this is all in the source code and that's where you'll
> have to look I'm afraid. The tdb library documentation will
> tell you how to fetch the tdb records - the tdb key will be
> hashed device/inode number.

As a side note, just wildly brainstorming: I would guess
that there's a lot of duplicate acls in the tdb. Might an a
bit more complex scheme with refcounted acls and pointers be
possible? Maybe with an offline dedup tool or some scheme
based on a hash value of the secdesc blob? The inode just
points at the hash value of the secdesc blob, behind the
hash we have the refcounted secdesc itself.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de