[Samba] samba-tool dbcheck produces wrong instancetype errors

Chris Lewis clewis at inview.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 09:50:42 MST 2013

Hi All,

I have joined a samba4 instance to en existing W2k8 AD domain as an
additional domain controller.

When I do

samba-tool dbcheck

I get (example) :

ERROR: wrong instanceType 4 on CN=INVIEW-DC2,OU=Domain
Controllers,DC=inview,DC=local, should be 0
Not changing instanceType from 4 to 0 on CN=INVIEW-DC2,OU=Domain
Controllers,DC=inview,DC=local

This happens for  644 out of 655 of the objects in directory. I have
attempted to fix one or two less important objects and the error does
not appear again.

Before I go ahead and fix them all, I want to find out whether doing
this would have any unwanted ramifications?

Can anyone explain what causes these errors and if fixing them might
break something?

Thanks in advance

Chris

--