[Samba] Move from roaming to local profiles

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Jan 9 08:37:27 MST 2013

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 09:14 AM CST, Bjoern Baumbach <bb at sernet.de> wrote:

> Hello Donny,
>
> On 01/09/2013 03:53 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:
> > We are migrating all of our users from the current domain to a new one we created. In this process we are moving them from roaming profiles to local. What would be the best practice to accomplish this? I can find plenty of writeups on how to do the opposite. Also we will be doing some extra folder redirection. Currently we only redirect their my documents to the server. On the new system we plan to redirect AppData and Desktop also. Is there a good easy way to automate this while still retaining their existing information?
>
> You should take a look at the Windows user profile manager. Using
> WindowsXP you can follow these steps:
> Right click on My Computer
> Select Properties
> "Settings"-Button in User Profiles
>

> Björn
>
> --
> SerNet GmbH, Bahnhofsallee 1b, 37081 Göttingen
> phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
> AG Göttingen, HRB 2816, GF: Dr. Johannes Loxen
> http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de

Thanks for the fast reply. That looks like exactly what I was looking for. I am about to test that with a few windows 7 machines I have. What would be the best way to automate the folder redirection, if that is even possible. I thought about just adding the directives to the users netlogon.bat but I am not sure that will move the data automatically.
--

Donny B.