[Samba] Permissions problem

Bruno MACADRE bruno.macadre at univ-rouen.fr
Wed Jan 9 01:08:57 MST 2013

Le 24/12/2012 17:33, Michael B. Trausch a écrit :
> On 12/20/2012 10:05 AM, Bruno MACADRE wrote:
>> If I copy this file in command line the mode is 660 as expected, If I
>> want to simulate the file explorer behaviour I must do a 'cp
>> --preserve=mode' copy.
>>
>>      Is there a way to forbid this behaviour ? Or is there something
>> wrong in my configuration ?
>
> The only way that I could think of would be to write a Samba VFS module
> that prevented invocation of the chown(2) and chmod(2) system calls (and
> friends).  Such a VFS module would need to return a suitable error code,
> which would more than likely then be passed back to the client.
>
> Or you could simply "stub" the chown/chmod (and friends!) system calls
> such that they return success but are effectively no-ops.
>
> Someone else with more intimate experience with Samba's code may have a
> better option, but that's the only one I can think of at the moment.
>
> 	HTH,
> 	Mike

That was a really good idea, I've just write "fake_chmod" VFS module
that intercept chmod (and friends) invocations and return 0 without do
anything.

This module works perfectly. I tested it with nautilus and the final
rights on the file are like expected. I haven't tested on win7 yet but I
think that it should be the same behaviour.

Thanks for your idea,
Bruno

--

Bruno MACADRE
  Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseau     | Systems and Network Engineer

	Tél : +33 (0)2-32-95-51-86
	Fax : +33 (0)2-32-95-51-87