[Samba] Samba4: Replication of DNS data from one AD server to another

Dominic Evans oldmanuk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 03:20:51 MST 2013

Hi,

As per the Samba 4.0.0 release notes:

> Replication of DNS data from one AD server to another may not work.
>   The DNS data used by the internal DNS server and bind9_dlz is stored
>   in an application partition in our directory.  The replication of
>   this partition is not yet reliable.

I have noticed in the process of my migration tests that changes for a
particular hostname entry in the master DNS server (running on a Win 2003
DC) are not getting propagated through to the secondary DC running on Samba
4. The secondary server never seems to add an entry for this particular
hostname, despite deletion and recreation on the master DNS server. New
additions with different hostnames do get replicated across correctly; it
just appears to be a problem with this one hostname.

I'm assuming that the secondary DC somehow has a corrupt DNS entry for this
hostname. Is is possible to purge all the DNS entries on the secondary
controller and force it to do a clean recreate from the master DC?
Alternatively, can I use ldbedit/ldbsearch to try and clear any erroneous
data for the single hostname?