[Samba] Samba 3 classicupgrade to Samba AD

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jan 4 13:24:45 MST 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 12:28 -0700, Max Olivas wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I have a Samba 3 PDC (Debian, Samba version 3.5.6 with NIS groups and no winbind) with about 300 users, 200 client PC's, 15 member servers(mixed Windows Server 2003/2008 and Samba 3), and I'm attempting the classicupgrade to Samba AD.  To test I've created a new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and followed the HOWTO, successfully creating a blank Samba AD and testing adding users/PC's and connecting with Windows AD tools.  I then attempted the classicupgrade (rolled VM back and copied .tdb files and smb.conf from current PDC) but I'm getting several errors.
> Importing groups
> Importing users
> Failed to create user record CN=watersan ,CN=Computers,DC=northglenn,DC=org: Entry CN=watersan,CN=Computers,DC=northglenn,DC=org already exists
> ERROR(<class 'passdb.error'>): uncaught exception - Unable to add sam account 'watersan $', (-1073741725,User exists)
> Hopefully someone sees something that I"m doing blatently wrong and can point out my mistake.  Thanks in advance for any help!

I'd wager the error message is exact and meaningful - you have a
duplicate sambaSID in your LDAPSAM.  Also the machine account "watersan
$" contains a space.  That seems odd.

I had several of these inconsistencies in my old LDAPSAM that I needed
to correct before the upgrade completed.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383